Saturday 25 October 2014

Review: 'Lord of the Flies'

DramaSoc's production of Lord of the Flies is one in which they should be tremendously proud. From beginning to end, I found myself completely immersed in the play; after the first part, I did not feel like I was merely watching actors, but that I was watching the genuine events unfold.

Lord of the Flies follows the story of a group of schoolchildren, who find themselves trapped on a beach after a plane crash. Their attempts to create their own society fail dramatically, and the subsequent events make the audience question what it means to be human; what 'human nature' really entails.
 
As you may have gathered, it certainly is not a play to see if you are looking to be cheered up; indeed, the play is incredibly dark and soul-searching, but that does not stop it from being entertaining. The terror I experienced at the events before me was only heightened by the incredible work of the lighting engineers. The lights were used exceptionally to transform the small stage into the island where the story is set, with a depth and sense of distance that DramaSoc should be proud to have achieved.

I also cannot give high enough praise to the actors, whose skills upon the stage led me to truly relate to all of the characters. I was genuinely heartbroken, and genuinely appalled, at certain moments of the play, as I felt the emotions portrayed by these artists cut right into me. My only criticism - and it is a minor one - would be that, during a soliloquy given by the character of Simon, I couldn't really understand him over his sobs.

Besides that, the play was astonishing - I do not believe that I have ever seen a play that has more engrossed, appalled, and struck me to the core. Lord of the Flies is a must-see - it will take you on a rollercoaster of emotion, and may even lead you to question the very nature of your being.

By James Aston

No comments:

Post a Comment