Thursday 21 June 2012

Review: 'Godspell'


By Kat Ronson.

Before reading Kat's review listen to our exclusive preview of the production on the ((URY PLAYER)) here. 

When entering the barn I was unsure of what to expect.  Not being religious in the slightest, the prospect of watching a musical about Christianity very much scared me. So let me begin by saying, I enjoyed it so much I watched it twice. Godspell brought stories from the Bible with simple lessons behind them that everyone can identify with, combined with beautiful songs. It is in the name, it is in the script, in the songs…but for me, this play wasn’t about god. For me, it was about feeling part of something that far surpassed my doubts on religion.

One of the ways they made me feel included, despite my lacking of a religious orientation, is by having the play set in a prison. “He who is faultless shall cast the first stone”, are wise words said by Alistair Kerr (Jesus) and is a moral that was resonant through the entire play, having the ensemble playing less-than-perfect prisoners, all dressed in orange boiler suits. Each character of the ensemble first  appeared on the stage talking to their self, representing opinions similar to my own, but still later joined in the gleeful singing, dancing and story-telling. This automatically made me feel assured that I wouldn’t be spending two hours being preached to. This is to the credit of director, Anna Czornyj.

There were moments of sheer brilliance where the feeling of inclusion was over-whelming and, I feel a little silly saying this but…emotional. A key example of this was when Richard Spears sang “All Good Gifts”. The beauty of this was not in the energetic dancing and clapping like much of the show, as the cast sat cross-legged in a circle for the number. Nor was it in Spears’ singing, which was simply stunning. But it was the emotion and joy conveyed in Spears’ entire being that made this song sparkle; pure magic.

The entire cast were hugely talented. Ryan Hall entered singing the opening number “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord”. His singing was at times shaky, but his characterisation of John the Baptist, and later Judas, was totally captivating. Hall & Kerr were the perfect double act. Their chemistry was so clear and infectious, providing the audience with so many comic moments. Their duet “All for the Best” was a joy to watch, with the duo dancing in unison. Though, it has to be said, the ensemble out-sung the duo on many occasions.
It is difficult to pick out particular performances from the ensemble, as they all worked together and complimented each other beautifully. They should all be commended for their impeccable characterisations and devising the characters themselves. One person that did stand out to me was Edith Kirkwood. Her individual characterisation, I felt had been thought through the most. She also had many of the toughest harmonies, and consequently, I am able to confirm she has a ferocious set of lungs.

To sum up Godspell in a word. Utterly fabulous? Ok, two…completely, utterly fabulous and uplifting. Five? There are too many words and I cannot explain the joy I felt when watching the production (and taking to the stage at the end of the first act). I have been singing “We Beseech Thee” and “Day by Day” in the shower every day since seeing the show. Try and see a production of it, buy the soundtrack or listen to the songs…just do something! This musical is to be shared. My soundtrack is making its way to me in the post, and I am scrolling west end dates. It is official. I am totally in love with Godspell.

Tune in for all our audio reviews Sundays from 2 in YorWorld and on demand on the ((URY PLAYER))

No comments:

Post a Comment